French Day Camps For Children
Ages 6 to 12
In-Person Day Camps Are Running In 2021!
And you can enhance your camp experience with our variety of add-ons, check them out here!
This French camp program is offered to children who are in French immersion or French schools from SK to grade 6. And enhance your camp experience with our wide variety of add-ons, check them out here!
Children in this program are expected to express themselves at grade-level. We understand that children at all ages have different abilities, particularly after only a few years of French instruction; that’s where our camp comes in!
Campers in all of our programs enjoy weeks jam-packed with activities designed to support and enrich French learning. Language modules include a wide variety of instructional strategies for learning in informal settings. Arts and crafts is a time for campers to flex their artistic muscles while interacting in French in an authentic task. From cooperative learning to structured simulations, the creativity module engages campers’ imagination and social skills in creating a shared skit, song or dramatic piece. Counsellors teach and model new vocabulary and sentence structures that kids employ in the course of camp favourites such as cat and mouse, choir master and “What time is it, Mr. Wolf?”
In this supportive context, kids are encouraged to share, learn, and try new things. Activities and themes change week to week. See you there!
As of right now, we are only able to accept campers in SK to grade 4 (both from French immersion and non-French immersion schools).
Please check back regularly for updates; we are working hard to open registration for grades 5 and 6 as well!
How Camp Will Work
- Children will be placed in groups of a maximum of 10 people including the caring counselor that will spend the week with them.
- Each group will be assigned their own physical space which will act as a bubble for them. Members of other groups will not be permitted to interact or enter that “bubble”.
- When outdoor space is available, each group will take turns spending time outside.
- The schedule ensures that children will have mask-on activities where social distancing is not possible, alternating with “mask-off” activities where they can safely play and engage in our activities while six feet apart.
- During some individual time, children will have their own kit for activities such as bracelet making, worksheets, and reading materials. You will receive a list of items that we will provide and items that you must send with your child.
- There will be no field trips during the week.
- We will adhere strictly to the safety guidelines issued by the Ministry of Ontario and will require our hosts to do so as well. Click here for more information.
Schedule & Activities
Our fantastic team has prepared a fun schedule of activities for your children. Click here for a sample. For each module, we will develop a variety of activities to ensure that there are not too many repetitive activities from week to week. Children can expect to engage in:
- Creativity model to develop a song or skit for Friday.
- Board and card games such as snakes and ladders and Uno.
- Individual challenge games such as minute to win it and skill and strength challenges.
- Circle Fun Games such as werewolf, drop it catch it, pow, and much more.
- Active cooperation modules.
- Get Moving including dance, yoga, and cardio.
- Arts and Crafts.
- Language Module.
- And MORE!!
French Camp daily activities include: Organized sports, arts and crafts, cooperation games, and board and card games. Each day will end with a big camp game that will see all campers from all the different groups come together to play.
Campers will also take part in a creativity club each week where a short presentation of a skit or song will be developed by each group on a new theme.
Campers will develop their choreography, script, costumes, and make-up together as a group. On Friday, each group will present their creation to the rest of the camp in the hope of winning the prizes!
Once a week, we head to a local splash pad where the children will spend some time playing water games, going on a nature walk, and participating in large camp games!
At our French summer day camps throughout the GTA, all programming (the activities, crafts, field trips etc…) is different from week to week so you can register for multiple weeks for LOTS of fun in French this summer!
This program is exclusively offered to students in French immersion or French schools so that we can maintain the French conversation all day!
New and Improved French Module coming this Summer:
The main objective of the language module is to consolidate oral communication and comprehension skills among our campers in a collaborative and entertaining environment, so that they develop confidence and fluency in using French outside of the classroom.
Campers will improve their pronunciation, and learn new vocabulary and common expressions through different games where expression and interaction go hand in hand. One such game is “Picture Telephone” where the first player describes a hidden image to the second person, who describes what he heard to the next person, and so on until the last person makes the final sketch, and the original photo is revealed! During the comparison between what was drawn and the original picture, the counselors review the vocabulary used and learned during the activity. What better way to practice French while having fun!
And you can enhance your camp experience with our wide variety of ADD-ONS, which you can check out here!
At the end of August we are celebrating the end of our season with our Fête Champêtre!
This fun-filled day will feature the best of Camp Tournesol, including active games and keeping cool either in the pool or with water game!
Day Camp Parent Handbook
Stay tuned for the 2021 Parent Handbook!
Registered families: check your email for the full document. New families will receive a copy included in their registration confirmation.
Included in this document are:
- things to bring
- code of conduct
- pick up and drop off procedures
- campus information
- important documents
- and much more!
Upon publication, a copy will be sent to our parents.